The small parish church of St Peter was rebuilt in 1877 and was rededicated by the Bishop of Ely in 1879. There has been a church on the same site for over a thousand years - the Saxon king, Edgar, granted the charter in 968 AD. It is believed that the present building is the fourth. Holwell parish had a Rector from 1224 to 1980, after which it became a Joint Benefice with Ickleford. This arrangement continued until 2002, when the incumbent retired. In 2005, the United Benefice of Holwell, Ickleford and Pirton (HIP) was created and continues to date. No incumbent priest has lived in Holwell since 1980. St Peter's is situated in the middle of the village. The outside is faced in local stone and flint. Inside there is an unusual mosaic reredos. A stained glass window of St Alban, which incorporates a small etching of St Albans Abbey, is on the north wall of the Sanctuary. By the pulpit is a flagstone with rare small brasses dedicated to a pre-reformation rector of Holwell, Robert Wodehouse. The church is open to visitors during daylight hours and is a beautiful, quiet and peaceful place. The churchyard is well maintained and is still open for burials.
Services within the Benefice
For details about services at all three churches within the Benefice, please go to the following page:
See here for further details about St Peter's Church, contacts and services.