Holwell Parish Council

Serving the people of Holwell

Village Sign

Clerk: Mrs A Warner
25 Stocking Drive
Meppershall, Shefford
Bedfordshire SG17 5SN

Tel: 07914656225

Here are some recently asked questions

Will our Council Tax fall? Why is nothing simple? Unfortunately the answer isn't. Your Council Tax is made up of 4 elements - Herts County, North Herts District, Hertfordshire Police and the Parish (i.e. us). The first three elements are the same across the county, that is, every household pays the same amount in each band. Those three authorities control how much that is. The Parish element is called the Precept and that is controlled by Holwell Parish Council. In 2016 it is £52.44 per band D property per annum. This does not pay your Councillors (they work for free!) but goes towards maintaining your village as a pleasant place to live.

Who will fix our broken streetlight? These are the responsibility of Herts Highways and we continue to report all lights we are notified of. The current Highways response would appear that due to its priorities, street lights are on a four week repair schedule at best.

What are you doing about parking issues? The Parish Council is very aware of the parking issues in Rands Meadow, in particular. Sadly, there is no way to make any more on street parking due to the layout of the road which was set out in the 1950s. We have worked with North Hertfordshire Homes over the last few months to come up with a solution that will be cost effective and work well for residents. We anticipate that this will involve the garage area in Rands Meadow. The Parish Council has now done as much as it is able to regarding the parking issue and it is now a matter for North Hertfordshire Homes who own the garage area. We hope to be able to report some news soon.

Why is there dog poo in the Recreation Ground? The Parish Council provides dog bins in four locations around the village. Unfortunately, not all individuals are responsible dog owners who clear up their mess. If you see any incidents of dog fouling, it can be reported to North Herts District Council here. Additionally, please inform the Parish Council of repeat offenders.